The 2009-2010 curling season is now fully underway at most buildings in our country and this particular season is arguably the most important in the history of our sport.
Because of this heightened awareness, this is terrific news and an unbelievable opportunity for every curling facility to showcase their building and programs to the non-curling public. Even though I believe more Canadians than ever before will want to give it a go, it would be irresponsible of us as a sport to sit back and wait for them to come to us.
Here is our plan then for Leveraging 2010:
- The CCA has made new commercials to air throughout the TSN broadcasts of Season of Champions events. This new commercial (and versions of it) is different than anything we have done before and we are convinced the non-curling Canadian public will respond to the call for action anxiously looking for ice to give it a try.
A new web site has been built (www.startcurling.ca) specifically for those curious about curling sharing all the information they will need to prepare for that very first rock. The site has been built to simulate an actual curling club including the ice area, the lounge and the manager’s office. We will also be able to direct anyone to the building closest to them.
- A planning guide to hosting your very own open house(s) will be available online. It will be an A-Z look at how to maximize this unique awareness and get as many people as possible to your club.
- Curling will have a significant presence online using such tools as Facebook, Twitter, Blogs and YouTube to spread the word about how much fun it is to play.
What can you do as a club to use these new tools and build the sport in your community?
- Link to the new CCA website from the front page of your site. We will also have a a web version of the television commercials you can also link. If you don’t have a web site, build one! In today’s Internet world, if you are not on the World Wide Web, you don’t exist!
- Download the planning guide and organize! It will work! We will also provide a link to download, customize and print some really neat posters.
- Get your club on Facebook. Build a page and get your members to join and then join in with other curling fans. This type of viral marketing really works. Link to curling blogs (we will supply the sites for you); build great YouTube videos and post them online.
- Have fun with it!!
Note: We are aiming for a full launch on or near November 10, 2009.