Come and join our team, working for one of the most successful and financially stable Curling Clubs in Canada, with a hard- working and dedicated staff, fun and appreciative members, a progressive Board of Directors and an unmatched working environment.
The BCC is located at 2295 New Street, in beautiful Burlington, located on the western shore of Lake Ontario.
Go to: www.burlcurl.com
After a long and successful career as the Manager of the Burlington Curling Club, Brian Moore has decided to move on the next chapter of his life, and enjoy a long and active retirement. Thank you Brian for all your hard work and dedication over the years!
As a result, the Burlington Curling Club is seeking applications from qualified individuals for the position of Manager.
The BCC is a very busy club with 770 full time members curling on 5 sheets. The club is open from the last week in September to mid – April. The successful applicant will have a management background in hospitality services, with experience in facility management. Although not required, previous experience in a curling environment is desirable.
The Manager’s position is a full time, 12 month a year position, with the bulk of the work occurring during the curling season, with some minor duties in the off season.
Summary of the Manager’s Duties
The Manager will employ, train, schedule and supervise competent staff, as required, in order to ensure that all Club and office functions, as defined by the Board, are effectively performed. This staff includes the Ice Technician, any Assistant Ice Technicians and Ice Helpers, all evening / weekend staff, office staff and kitchen staff.
Budget / Financial:
1. Will ensure that the Club operates within the budget, and to the standards established by the Board of Directors.
2. Will ensure all accounts are reconciled as required, monitor all financial activities, ensure all transactions are recorded including remittance of all taxes and payroll payments and report to the Treasurer for inclusion in the Treasurer’s report for monthly meetings of the Board of Directors.
3. Will recommend to the Board of Directors major items requiring repair, improvement and / or replacement.
4. Will assist the Treasurer in the preparation of an annual operating budget, as part of the total budget preparation process and report any deviations to the Treasurer.
5. Will recommend to the Board of Directors the appropriate compensation for all employees of the Club.
1. Will ensure that staff are trained and supervised in their role and comply with Health and Safety requirements.
2. Will ensure that all Club equipment is maintained in working order and service contracts are effectively utilized. Hazardous conditions will be identified by the Manager and corrective action recommended and/or implemented.
3. Will ensure all licenses and permits are current and appropriate, all recommendations by Health and License Inspectors are acted upon, and all deliveries are appropriately scheduled, received verified and properly stored.
4. Will be responsible for the overall Club security and fire protection. The manager will be responsible for the operation of the alarm systems.
5. Will attend all meetings of the Board of Directors and the Annual General Meeting. The manager will be responsible for ensuring that the appropriate minutes are recorded, prepared, and circulated to the members of the Board.
6. Will operate a Curling Pro Shop, maintaining an inventory as specified by the Board of Directors.
7. Will be responsible for the development of the curling club roster and calendar, in co-operation with all sections of the Club and the President / Vice-President.
8. Will, during the summer period, defined as April 30 to September 1perform duties including, but not limited to, the following:
• Checking messages at the Club for inquiries regarding membership
• Accepting registrations
• Processing of membership invoices and collection of dues
• Preparing membership lists
• Providing accurate membership information to appropriate club sections
• Supervising any maintenance work or painting in the arena area as well as any areas in the lounge, locker rooms, etc.
• Preparation and circulation of information regarding Annual General Meeting
• Preparation of Motions, etc. for Annual General Meeting
• When required the manager may request assistance in the performance of general duties from the ice technician, or assistant ice technicians.
9. Will actively solicit membership input and requests, and will report monthly to the Board of Directors on such input, including his recommendations for action.
10. Will be responsible for the performance of other miscellaneous duties as may be assigned, on occasion, by the President, or designate.
11. Meet with the President and Vice-President prior to the end of the curling season
each year to discuss the work requirements of the Office Staff during the non-curling season.
12. Monthly during the curling season, the Manager will provide the Ice Committee
with a detailed list of arena expenses incurred to date.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated skills in:
• Leadership in developing and maintaining an excellent team of staff and volunteers;
• Management of office and club facilities utilizing current best practices;
• Food and beverage management;
• Marketing, and business promotion to maintain the excellent reputation of the Burlington Curling Club;
• Accounting, with competency in Quickbooks, or equivalent and MS Office.
A diploma or degree in business or hospitality management, or equivalent experience would be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will be a club employee and not a contracted service. The successful candidate will be offered an employment contract, the terms of which can be negotiated once an offer of employment is made. Salary will be commensurate with experience, and can be paid over a full 12 month period, if desired. The contract can also be negotiated as a multiple year contract by mutual agreement. The position is available for the start of the 2017-18 curling season. The actual start date can be negotiated with the successful candidate.
All candidates can apply in the utmost of confidence. All applicants’ names will not be shared with anyone outside of the three (3) person hiring committee. The Committee will not breach any confidences during the hiring process and once the final two preferred candidates are identified, only their names will be forwarded to the Board of Directors for a final interview and selection.
To apply, forward your resume by email to Joe Taylor, President, Burlington Curling Club at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before April 28, 2017.
If you require any additional information, feel free to contact Joe by email.
The Burlington Curling Club committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities are available upon request. We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.