We are now accepting applications to fill the position of Manager/ Ice Technician for our 2017/2018 season.
Our modern, successful club of 200+ members operates a four-sheet facility October to April. There is daily curling events and evening leagues 4 days a week along with 3 days of junior programs, 8 annual bonspiels, plus rentals. Our club members are accustomed to playing on high quality ice infused with a welcoming and fun atmosphere. The club is in the Town of Fairview, a thriving community hub located in the Heart of the Peace in northeastern Alberta.
Summary of the Manager’s Duties
The Manager will employ, train, schedule and supervise competent staff, to ensure that all club functions, are effectively performed. This staff includes lounge and kitchen staff.
Budget / Financial
1. Will ensure that the club operates within the budget, and to the standards established by the Board of Directors.
2. Will ensure all accounts are reconciled as required, bank deposits done, and report to the Treasurer for inclusion in the Treasurer’s report for meetings of the Board of Directors.
3. Will recommend to the Board of Directors major items requiring repair, improvement and / or replacement.
4. Will recommend to the Board of Directors the appropriate compensation for all employees of the club.
1. Will ensure that staff are trained and supervised in their role and comply with health and safety requirements.
2. Will ensure that all club equipment is maintained in working order and service contracts are effectively utilized. Hazardous conditions will be identified by the Manager and corrective action recommended and/or implemented.
3. Will ensure all licenses and permits are current and appropriate, all recommendations by health and license inspectors are acted upon, and all deliveries are appropriately scheduled, received verified and properly stored.
4. Will be responsible for the overall club security and fire protection.
5. Will attend all meetings of the Board of Directors and the Annual General Meeting.
6. Will be responsible for the development of the curling club roster and calendar, in co-operation with all sections of the club.
7. Will perform duties including, but not limited to, the following:
• Checking messages at the club for inquiries.
• Accepting registrations
• Processing of membership invoices and collection of dues
• Preparing membership lists
• Providing accurate membership information to appropriate club sections
• any maintenance work or painting in the arena area as well as any areas in the lounge, etc.
• Preparation and circulation of information regarding Annual General Meeting
8. Will actively solicit membership input and requests, and will report monthly to the Board of Directors on such input, including his recommendations for action.
9. Will be responsible for the performance of other miscellaneous duties as may be assigned, on occasion, by the President, or designate.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated skills in:
• Leadership in developing and maintaining an excellent team of staff and volunteers;
• Management of office and club facilities utilizing current best practices;
• Food and beverage management;
• Marketing, and business promotion to maintain the excellent reputation of the Fairview Curling Club;
• MS Office.
Ice Technician & General Duties
The Ice Technician is responsible for all activities and equipment relating to the installation, maintenance, and removal of the curling sheets. The club owns a battery powered Ice King and uses the Jet Ice Water System.
General duties include, but are not limited to, custodian, snow clearing from walkways & exit doors, repairs, painting, etc.
A diploma or degree in business or hospitality management. The successful candidate will have a minimum of Level I Ice Technician Certificate, Level II is considered an asset or equivalent experience would be an asset.
The successful candidate will be a club employee and not a contracted service. The successful candidate will be offered an employment contract, the terms of which can be negotiated once an offer of employment is made. Salary will be commensurate with experience. The position is available for the start of the 2017-18 curling season. The actual start date can be negotiated with the successful candidate.
All candidates can apply in the utmost of confidence. All applicants’ names will not be shared with anyone outside of the three (3) person hiring committee. The committee will not breach any confidences during the hiring process and once the final two preferred candidates are identified, their names will be forwarded to the Board of Directors for a final selection.
To apply, forward your resume by email to Glenn Rubuliak, Fairview Curling Club at email@example.com on or before May 28, 2017. If you require any additional information, feel free to contact Glenn by email.
The Fairview Curling Club is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities are
available upon request. We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.