Date: January 2-7, 2018
Team Registration Deadline*: November 25, 2016
*This is the deadline to register your team for a chance to become Olympians!
18 teams – Round robin play with 2 (two) pools of 9 (nine)
8 (eight) Qualifiers – The 1st and 2nd place finishers within each pool and the next best 4 (four) win/loss records qualify for a modified double-knockout playoff. The A-side winner plays B-side winner in the final. (Meaning you are allowed one loss after you qualify up until the Championship game)
1 – 2016 Team that represented Canada at the 2016 Mixed Doubles Worlds (Marliese Kasner / Dustin Kalthoff)
3 – Top three finishers at 2017 Canadian Mixed Doubles Championship (April 5-9, 2017, Saskatoon, SK)
4 – Regional Bonspiel Qualifiers (2 have been determined – Homan/Morris & Miskew/Griffith)
10 – Top teams from the CMDR not already qualified
Your team will be advised on November 1, 2017, whether or not you have qualified for the Trials.
To be eligible for a CMDR entry, each player entered must have competed in, or will compete in, three (3) Curling Canada Sanctioned Mixed Doubles events from September 1, 2015, to October 31, 2017*
The CMDR team points will be accumulated as below:
- September 1, 2015 – May 1, 2016 – 75% value carried over from each players best three mixed doubles point’s events.
- September 1, 2016 – November 1, 2017 – Mixed Doubles teams best six results from either mixed doubles events and/or CTRS events. Only 3 CTRS point events will count. (CTRS points will be accumulated from September 1, 2016, to May 1, 2017, and are individually based)
- Members of the four-player men’s and women’s curling team representatives for the 2018 Olympics will not be eligible to participate in the 2018 Mixed Doubles Curling Trials.
- If both players from a Mixed Doubles Trials-eligible team are competing at the 2018 Olympics, that team will be replaced by the first team on the waiting list.
- If your Mixed Doubles team has an individual player competing at the 2018 Olympics, you will have an opportunity to replace that player.
- The replacement player must have been playing on a Men’s or Women’s team ranked in the top 12 of the Canadian Team Ranking System following the 2016-17 season, or on a Mixed Doubles Team ranked in the top 20 as at November 1, 2017.
- Deadline to re-submit your new team line up is December 14, 2017
- If two (2) or more teams decide to not re-submit a team for the 2018 Mixed Doubles Curling Trials, the event will become a 16-team round robin event with two pools of 8 (eight). Playoff format will remain the same.
There will be three (3) teams placed on a waiting list based on the CMDR. The waiting list teams will advise Curling Canada by November 3, 2017, if they wish to be placed on the waiting list knowing that the possibility to participate in the Mixed Doubles Curling Trials will not be known until December 15, 2017.
*Curling Canada Sanctioned Events: 2015 Canad Inns Mixed Doubles Classic, 2015 Wall Grain Mixed Doubles Classic, 2016 Canadian Mixed Doubles Championship, 2016 Canad Inns Mixed Doubles Classic, 2016 Wall Grain Mixed Doubles Classic, 2017 Brantford Mixed Doubles Classic, 2017 Canadian Mixed Doubles Championship plus 1 last chance Regional Event to be played in late August or early September 2017.
The application form and participation agreement must be received by Curling Canada no later than November 25, 2016
By mail: 1660 Vimont Court, Orleans, Ontario K4A 4J4 (Attn: Paul Noble)
By email: email@example.com