Target Start Date: June 1, 2019
Salary Range: $40-60,000 (depending on experience) plus potential bonus incentives
The Royal Montreal Curling Club (RMCC), founded in 1807, is the oldest, active athletic club in North America. The club boasts three sheets of curling ice, a regulation snooker table, and dining and bar facilities and hosts a number of bonspiels, fundraisers and social evenings. The private club, which serves approximately 230 members is actively engaged in campaigns to expand its membership.
We are seeking an energetic self-starter with great organizational abilities to build upon the long history of the club and extend it into the future. The General Manager is instrumental in growing and sustaining our membership, along with an active team of volunteers and coaching staff who organize and run a wide range of curling programs that meet the needs of members, including:
• Recreational Curling
• Competitive Curling
• Seniors Curling
• Social Events
The club provides curling from October through April and is closed from June to August.
Priorities for the RMCC
In addition to ensuring the ongoing successful operation of the club and management of a staff of 6-8, the new General Manager will assist the board with three priority areas:
• Membership growth and retention;
• Revenue growth through ice and banquet rentals; and
• Operational efficiency.
Reporting to the Board of directors, the General Manager:
• Is accountable for the successful ongoing operations of the club and ensuring the long-termcsuccess and sustainability of the RMCC; and
• Is responsible for the performance of staff responsible for administration, bar and dining and is expected to provide them the leadership, direction, development and support necessary to ensure a positive and efficient work environment and member satisfaction.
While responsibilities cover the full year, the seasonal nature of the business of the Club requires the General Manager to work a flexible and variable schedule, depending on the time of year.
The General Manager has overall accountability for the effective operation of the RMCC for the full year. However, from June to August, the requirements are reduced to handle administrative, operational activities and to prepare for the next season. The General Manager, in consultation with the Board
Chairs, has the flexibility to allocate his/her time to meet the requirements of the job.
Support to the Board and the club as a whole, including board chairs, members and employees. Member Relations: Work with the Membership Committee to monitor member satisfaction to ensure issues are addressed quickly. In consultation with the Communications Committee, build a member information and communication plan.
Management and supervision of employees.
Develop, manage and maintain a well-qualified team of employees.
Ensure there are well-designed and well-communicated policies and standards on operational excellence for each employee which will ensure the club adds value to members at all times.
Financial Management of the Club
The General Manager’s scope covers all aspects of the financial and budgetary requirements of the Club, including:
• working closely with the board of directors to ensure the financial strength of the club
• the review and maintenance of accurate accounting records (the RMCC employs a part-time bookkeeper)
• the submission of all financial records for a yearly audit, with the results reported to the Board of directors
• in conjunction with the Treasurer, create yearly operational budgets, designed to achieve the targets set by the Board of directors.
Be directly involved in the booking and growth of our increasingly important rental program including:
• Ice rentals and banquet rentals.
• Develop new sources of revenue, building on our curling operations, or other uses for our facility.
• Assist the board in developing the marketing and corporate sponsorship plan.
• Attend monthly Board of management meetings, prepare necessary documentation and provide a report of important club issues requiring attention.
• Build relationships with curling organizations (Curling Canada, Curling Quebec) and ensure the RMCC is properly represented in various other forums.
• Ensure club facilities are well maintained.
Personal Attributes for Success
While there are many operational success factors to the role, long-term success can be best achieved if the General Manager is comfortable with, and can operate effectively at, a strategic level in time horizons of three to five years. The individual should possess the following attributes:
• a “people-person” with the capacity to relate to people at all levels and in a variety of work and community environments.
• excellent verbal and written skills, in English and French.
• an entrepreneurial mindset and is constantly aware of how the curling business is unfolding and how to create new opportunities.
• able to challenge tradition in a constructive way and can be counted on to identify problems.
• well-developed leadership and management skills.
• ease at working with and engendering cooperation from volunteer members.
• adaptable to, and comfortable with, a variable daily, weekly and monthly work schedule including the occasional evenings and weekends during the busy operating season.
• Organized, good attention to detail. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and social media platforms.
Desirable Personal Experience
• Well-developed business management and leadership experience in customer or member-focused organizations.
• Previous responsibility or appreciation for marketing communications / public relations.
• Proven success in achieving bottom-line results.
• Ideally a curling “enthusiast”, but as a minimum must be familiar with the sport of curling.,
• Experience with municipal and volunteer associations would be of value.
• Should possess a degree/diploma in Marketing, Business, Recreation, Sports Management, or equivalent professional experience.
Interested applicants are asked to email a cover letter including salary expectation, and curriculum vitae (resumé), in English and in French, by April 30 to:
Email: [email protected]
Please quote in subject line: RMCC General Manager Position
NO phone calls please!
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.