Take your icemaking career to a new level by becoming the lead ice technician at one of the largest curling arenas in Alberta. The Rose City Curling Club depends on the Head Ice Technician to install and maintain great curling ice conditions throughout the curling season using the latest technologies and equipment.
The Rose City Curling Club, a not-for-profit organization managed by a Board of Directors, is a nine-sheet curling facility connected to the multi-purpose Recreation Centre in Camrose, Alberta. With over 100 years of curling history, the club currently has a membership of approximately 230 people. Our leagues run afternoons and evenings on weekdays. On weekends, the club hosts numerous bonspiels, provincial and national competitions, junior programs and rental groups.
Our membership is proud to have organized and volunteered at several successful high profile curling events at the neighboring Encana Arena such as the 2018 Grand Slam of Curling Meridian Canadian Open, 2014 Home Hardware Canada Cup, 2016 and 2012 Boston Pizza Cup Provincial Men’s Championship, 2011 Alberta Scotties Tournament of Hearts, and the 2008 Continental Cup of Curling.
The Head Ice Technician is an eight month seasonal contract position requiring an extensive time commitment during the September to April curling season. Hours may include weekdays, weeknights and weekends.
Who are we looking for?
A meticulous craftsman. An independent thinker. Someone who is punctual and is a creature of habit and routine. The Rose City Curling Club’s reputation for having exceptional ice conditions will be upheld through your high standards and work ethic.
The selected candidate will:
• Facilitate day-to-day curling ice operations, ensuring a high-quality playing surface for all league play, rentals, bonspiels and other functions as required
• Train, supervise and schedule assistant ice technicians and volunteers to guarantee a positive curling experience for all at the Rose City Curling Club
• Assist the Club Manager to ensure safety protocols are adhered to and that any facility safety concern is handled appropriately
• Install the ice annually, including hack to hack sheets, in-ice signage, hack installation and dividers between sheets
• Schedule and implement maintenance floods when required
• Complete daily/weekly/monthly equipment maintenance and log keeping
• Perform minor facility maintenance and repairs as needed
• Remove ice at the end of the season ensuring proper rock, signage and equipment storage
• Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with the Club Manager, Board of Directors, staff, club members, contractors, vendors, visitors and the community at large
• Minimum of a Level 2 Ice Technician Certificate required, or equivalent experience and a commitment to obtain Level 2 certification
• Minimum of two years’ experience in curling ice installation and maintenance, or a combination of applicable education and experience
• Ability to work under minimal direction but understands the importance of superior ice conditions and what is required to maintain them
Closing date: May 31, 2019
Position to start September 2019
Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with your salary expectations and a brief description outlining why you would be a good fit for this position. Please quote in email subject line: Head Ice Technician Position. We will also accept applications by post office mail postmarked no later than May 31, 2019. Please send to the Rose City Curling Club, Suite 5, 4512 – 53 Street, Camrose, Alberta T4V 4E3. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to submit a criminal record check.
All candidates are thanked for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.