Career Opportunity: Contract Ice Technician
Highwood Curling Club, High River, Alta
Highwood Curling, located in the Town of High River, is currently seeking an experienced ice technician that thrives on interacting with people, is customer focused and self motivated.
We require an individual to prepare and maintain our 4-sheet curling ice facility as a seasonal contract position from September 15 to April 15 each year.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Contract Ice Technician plays an integral role in the customer service and professional image of our club. Qualified candidates will have experience performing and overseeing all ice-making and maintenance duties, managing volunteer and/or paid ice crew, keeping detailed maintenance logs, and be both personable and approachable in effort to maintain a positive working relationship with our members, visitors and community at large.
– Installation of our 4 sheet ice surfaces including in ice advertising and logos as well as removal of ice at season’s end
– Ensure all ice maintenance equipment is operating efficiently, safely and serviced as required and are responsible for ordering necessary equipment and materials needed for the ice
– Prepare and maintain the ice surface to the highest possible standard
– Perform ice maintenance such as scrape, pebble and nip prior to each league, bonspiel, event, practice session and rental draw
– Perform /oversee major ice maintenance as needed throughout the curling season
– Assess and perform (or coordinate) all rock maintenance and repair as required
– Train and supervise any volunteer /or paid Ice Assistants in the operations of scraping, cleaning, pebble/nip and actively recruit and co-ordinating schedules of volunteer Ice Assistants
– Work with Board of Directors to establish the ice maintenance schedule
– Act as liaison between Highwood Curling and the Town of High River, Bob Snodgrass Recreation Facility maintenance staff on all ice plant and building maintenance issues.
– Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
– Complete all tasks observing all safety rules and in a professional and courteous manner
– Perform detailed cleaning and disinfecting duties in playing surface, lobby, locker rooms and washroom areas to adhere to the guidelines set out by the Alberta Health Authority, Town of High River and Alberta Curling
– Maintain general cleanliness at the exterior entrance to the curling rink inclusive of snow removal
– Co-ordinate any necessary rock or ice maintenance/repair as required
– Be present at agreed times for all major bonspiels and league play to monitor ice and ensure best possible quality playing conditions
– Attend monthly board meetings to present Ice Technician report of maintenance concerns
Qualifications and Skills
– Previous experience as an Ice Technician
– Minimum Level 2 Ice Technician Certification (Preference given to applicants with higher certification)
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong work ethic
– Computer literate
– Possess up to date CPR and basic First Aid (or willingness to obtain in first 3 months of contract)
– Ability to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays as necessary
– You are an active curler and plan to participate in some Highwood Curling league play (League and Membership fees covered by club)
This position offers a competitive compensation based on candidate’s experience.
While we appreciate and thank all applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
|Contact Name:||D’Arcy Finlay|
|Contact Email:||[email protected]|