Career Opportunity: General Manager/Ice Maker
Nelson Curling Centre, British Columbia
Terms: Seasonal – Full time, October to April
Salary/rate: $33 to $40 / hr – depending on experience
About us: The Nelson Curling Club has been in operation for over 100 years. It is a very active and vibrant club with a dedicated membership.
About the role: Under the direction of the Nelson Curling Club Executive, the General Manager position entails the management of the overall NCC building and operations. This included the responsibilities related to managing the ice plant and related equipment, and to maintain the quality curling ice surface through the curling season.
• Installation and maintenance of the ice area ensuring that the ice is prepared appropriately for all leagues, bonspiels, practice sessions, camps, clinics and at other times as advised.
• Supervise volunteers helping with the ice.
• Operating the ice plant to maintain a high-quality ice surface
• Maintain a schedule of required inspections of the ice plant.
• To maintain all supplies needed for the ice area.
• Advise the Board of Directors on long term plans and/ or improvements as needed.
• Shut down of the facility at the end of the season.
• Developing and implementing all operating procedures to ensure a smooth operation of the club.
• Food and beverage management: Efficiently manage regular bar services for the club and work with outside caterers for special events to ensure a quality delivery of services.
• Manage club expenses and report all transactions to the bookkeeper.
• Ensure the building and arena are maintained and operated in a safe, and efficient manner, complying with relevant government regulations.
• Report monthly to the Board of Directors on overall functioning of the centre.
• Work with the board to advertise the club, promote club activities, generate interest and access funding possibilities.
• Refrigeration Operator Certificate – an asset
• Certification in the Canadian Curling Association Ice Technician Training – an asset
• Serving it Right Certification
• Accounting and finance experience.
• Food and Beverage experience.
• Willingness to learn, and a strong working relationship with the club directors and general membership.
If you have any questions please email [email protected] or send your resume to
[email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you