Employment Opportunity: Curling Ice Technician (6 month contract)
King Township, Ontario
King Township is an idyllic countryside community of communities, proud of its rural, cultural, and agricultural heritage. We are respected for treasuring nature, encouraging a responsible economy, and celebrating our vibrant quality of life. As an organization, we are focused on providing superior customer service, quality programs and services, progressive leadership, responsible management, and staff that is empowered to achieve personal and organizational excellence in the delivery of municipal services.
Reporting to the Lead Hand – Facility Services, the Curling Ice Technician is responsible for the following:
• Performs day to day maintenance, general repairs, and janitorial tasks of the curling facility and the facility campus.
• Operates, maintains, and monitors various mechanical systems including general HVAC, refrigeration plant equipment, boilers and completes required logs and paperwork in compliance with industry standards and practices.
• Inspect and maintain equipment and materials to ensure they are in proper and safe operating condition.
• Installs and maintains curling ice surface(s), ice temperatures and humidity, perform plant readings, use and maintain ice scrapers, nipper and pebbler. Complete required logs and documentation.
• Perform seasonal shutdown including ice removal, curling rocks, and ice making equipment.
• Under the direction of the Lead Hand, plans and implements ice maintenance. Clean, scrape, pebble and nip ice surface as required.
• Sets up and removes chairs, tables, and equipment for various functions (e.g., meetings, socials, events, programs), and oversees social functions providing various supplies and responds to any additional requests.
• Reviews and monitors facility booking and rentals to ensure facility is clean, required set up is complete and customer needs are met, including general janitorial duties.
• Consult with Lead Hand where required and carry out minor repairs, performs general carpentry, plumbing, electrical and painting repairs
• Performs other duties that are in accordance with the position
The successful applicant will possess:
• Completion of a Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12).
• Possession of a Level 2 Curling Technician Certificate or equivalent.
• Previous experience in curling ice maintenance services and minimum (3) years of experience in making curling ice.
• Standard First Aid with CPR-C and AED. WHMIS/GHS training considered an asset. Class G licence.
Wage Rate: $27.05 per hour (2022 rate)
This position is subject to providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 in alignment with the Township Policy ADM-POL-163, COVID-19 Vaccination. Successful candidates will be required to be fully vaccinated with a Health Canada or the World Health Organization approved COVID-19 vaccine series with the final dose at least 14 days prior to your start date. To maintain ongoing fully vaccinated status, the successful candidate must also receive each dose/booster that may be required or recommended by Public Health. The Township will consider cases requiring accommodation as stipulated by relevant employment standards legislation or regulation and/or the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Qualified candidates are requested to forward their resume by December 7, 2022 by 4:30pm to:
2585 King Road
King City, Ontario
L7B 1A1 E-Mail: [email protected]
Please visit www.king.ca for full job description.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Personal information (PI) is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.0. 2001, c.25 and will be used to facilitate the hiring and recruitment process. Personal information (PI) will be protected in accordance with Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). Questions about the collection of personal information (PI) should be directed to the Human Resources Department, 2585 King Road, King City, L7B 1A1 or (905) 833-5321
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Township of King will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Township Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.