Career Opportunity: Accountant
Accountant, Curling Canada
Curling Canada is a National Sport Organization (NSO) and the leading expert and growth engine for Curling Excellence in Canada. Our exclusive purpose and function are to promote amateur athletics in the form of curling in Canada, on a nation-wide basis. We manage high performance programs (i.e., Team Canada,) select and manage national teams, and we have the exclusive right to name teams to World Competitions and Canadian Olympic organizations. We focus on serving our members (the Provincial, Territorial or Regional Curling Associations) and all of their associated clubs and curlers throughout Canada, with a plethora of services and resources from governance to marketing, to finance, data, and technology.
Our Finance & Corporate Services unit is growing! Curling Canada is seeking an intermediate Accountant with full-cycle accounting experience to join our team. The incumbent will work on- site at Curling Canada’s headquarters located in Orléans, Ottawa. Following the first 3 – 6 months working in office, the Bookkeeper may be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement (3 days in office, 2 days remote).
What You’ll Be Doing
- All facets of transactional accounting from A/R to A/P, reconciliations, accruals, and monthly statements
- Data collection & entry, vendor account reconciliations, payment processing via direct deposit, and cheque printing
- PO Accrual (Month end)
- Effectively evaluates contractual agreements to ensure employer obligations are met and payments are received on time
- Posts and reconciles invoices and customer payments to general ledgers
- Effectively manages bank, credit card, and general ledger reconciliations including day-to-day transactions and monthly reconciliations
- Creates and enter accurate invoices, payments, and statements
- Liaises with customers / clients and vendors regarding account balances and overdue payments
- Reviews all credit balances, refunds, and adjustments, and apply adjustments and/or corrections to corporate billing records to resolve billing discrepancies or misapplied payment transactions
- Accurately completes month-end closings and journal entry postings including prepaid expenses, accruals, fixed asset schedules and depreciation
- Produces and maintains accurate accounts payable and receivable aging reports, as well as other ad hoc accounting / finance reporting requirements
- Collaborates with the Accounting Operations Manager to maintain collection goals and general A/R performance levels.
- Effectively applies accounting policies, rules and regulations, and internal control systems to ensure compliance with applicable standards and clean audit.
What you Need To Be Successful
Skills and Education
- Post-Secondary Education or comparable experience in accounting.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years direct experience in a variety of accounting roles and capacities (A/P, A/R, general ledger, and account reconciliations)
- Demonstrated effectiveness in full cycle accounting and bookkeeping, and all transactional accounting functions
- Able to perform moderate to complex account reconciliations (including Bank and Visa)
- You can make QuickBooks Online Sing! You have demonstrated proficiency and experience with QuickBooks
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to enable collaboration and effective communication
- Demonstrated ability to accurately calculate, post, correct, and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Demonstrate knowledge of general accounting principles and practices and the basic application and use of concepts, theories, and terminology of accounting
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office 365 applications with advanced Excel skills
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy with the insight to coordinate priorities efficiently
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills
- Productive and efficient in planning and executing work with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to establish effective working relationships that foster organizational success
- Ability to work independently and contribute to accounting team objectives and workload
What We Offer
The salary range for this position starts at $60,000 depending upon experience. Curling Canada offers competitive health and dental benefits including RRSP matching, as well as 3 weeks paid vacation. The incumbent may be provided a laptop and a cell phone if required to work from home.
Ideally, we are looking for candidates who want a long-term role and who have the right work ethic, a lot of common sense and initiative and who thrive in a fast-paced, teamwork environment.
Due to the volume of applications, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
We offer a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive environment with a focus on teamwork and collaboration. You will be heard! You will grow! We provide support for ongoing professional development and growth.
Interested applicants may apply by sending their resume to [email protected] with the subject line [NAME_ACCOUNTANT]. No agencies please.
Come as you are. You are welcome here! Curling Canada is deeply committed to promoting diversity, advancing equity, and fostering a culture of inclusion. Therefore, we invite applications from all walks of life, including marginalized and equity-seeking groups (i.e. members of Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC) communities).
Curling Canada is compliant with the AODA – Access Ontario Disabilities Act. For access to our policy click here. For feedback on our accessibility please email [email protected].