Career Opportunity: General Manager
Victoria Curling Club
The Victoria Curling Club (VCC) is seeking a highly motivated General Manager to join our team!
• Position title: General Manager
• Reports to: Board of Directors, Executive Officers
• Reports: 3-5 direct; 15-20 indirect (seasonal)
• Target start date: July 1 (negotiable)
• Salary Range: $75-100K with annual economic increase and performance bonuses
Reporting to the Board of Directors Executive, the General Manager (GM) oversees the daily operations of the VCC and supports long-term strategy to enhance club operations over time. This includes promotion of curling in the community, staffing of approved positions, maintenance of club property, ice quality, member services, league play, events and competitions, facility rentals, club finances, and other items as identified by the Board of Directors. The GM will operate independently with an approved annual budget while seeking approval and/or keeping the Board informed as required and as warranted.
The VCC is seeking a GM who can support the vision of being a “home of curling excellence” and advance both recreational and high performance curling through effective operational management. The GM will lead the club as a professional business including engaging with city and community stakeholders, working with consultants and contractors to update the physical infrastructure of the club, and integrating our food and beverage services.
Victoria Curling Club Context:
The Victoria Curling Club (VCC) is a not-for-profit society incorporated in 1949. Its 8-sheet facility has operated for 70 years, during which time it has hosted and supported numerous provincial, national, and world championships. In 2023, the VCC had nearly 1000 active members with over 25 weekly leagues. The club hosts at least 5 annual bonspiels in addition to CurlBC events. Guided by the mission to provide a social and recreational facility that promotes and develops curling for people of all ages, abilities, and skill levels in Victoria and Vancouver Island, the goals of VCC include:
• Ensuring financial viability and operational sustainability through effective business management;
• Providing quality & consistency to exceed expectations of competitive and recreational curlers;
• Developing and implementing an integrated food & beverage service
• Retaining and increasing a membership that is engaged and value the organization;
• Fostering a rewarding work environment that results in satisfied employees and an exceptionally high level of volunteerism;
• Re-establishing a vibrant Jr. program and Greater Victoria Curling Academy;
• Maintaining & improving the facility to ensure it is safe and functional for all members and guests;
• Promoting curling by teaching the sport to people of all ages and skill levels; and
• Building community partnerships and member relations.
The Club operates as a curling facility between September and April, with off-season facility rentals to supplement revenue. The General Manager works year round.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Club Operations (45%)
• Assumes responsibility for day-to-day curling operations including, but not limited to, league registration and bonspiels
• Coordinates ice and dry floor rentals to support financial and community engagement goals
• Develops & implements a pro shop strategy that balances member utility & operational needs
• Coordinates and delivers assigned Provincial and Regional competitions, including a formal assessment of results
• Engages league representatives on strategy to expand and enhance league offerings that meet member needs and club expansion targets
• Oversees food and beverage operations, including hiring and managing staff
• Ensures club is compliant with local, provincial, and federal laws including Public Health laws, Labour Relations, and Food Safety regulations
• Manages required operational licenses, agreements, & contracts (liquor, insurance, taxes, etc.)
• Facilitates regular operations meetings with club staff and board members to discuss events, bookings, staff needs, club updates, member communications, and other operational items
• Develops and manages annual operating budget for Board review and approval, providing summarized financial information to Board for member reporting and decision-making
• Records all revenue and expenses of VCC, ensuring timely and accurate transaction management
• Ensures the safety and security of staff and assets, including managing access and recommending safety and security measures as appropriate
Business Development (30%)
• Continuously evaluates programs, procedures, and Club practices; makes recommendations to the Board for all improvements and changes to the club with detailed proposals
• In conjunction with the Board, develops business, strategic & long-range financial plans
• Identifies and initiates opportunities for growth in alignment with VCC values, mission, & goals
• Solicits in-ice and wall advertisement to support financial and community engagement goals
• Continuously identifies and mitigates issues that might threaten the success of the VCC
• Identifies grant opportunities and participates in the development of proposals for which VCC is eligible; manages documentation and follows-up as required
Leadership & Supervision (15%)
• Directly supervises lounge and curling operations staff, as well as all staff engaged in office administration and pro shop operations
• Oversees hiring, training, and ongoing support for continuing and seasonal staff
• Provides Human Resources and pay/benefit support services for all VCC staff, including leave provisions (vacation, illness, stat holidays, etc.); provides timely reports to the Board
• Ensures that VCC always has a responsible manager available, including covering responsibilities during staff absences
• Supervises volunteers as required
• Develops and implements member satisfaction monitoring systems, ensuring that issues are addressed efficiently and effectively
• Responsible for accurate and updated website and social media activity
• Develops an effective marketing and sales plan to promote membership and sponsorship
• Responds expeditiously to enquiries from members and public
• Prepares and sends regular communications to membership
• Prepares monthly reports for Board review including financial and operational status of the club; presents reports at Board meetings and responds to inquiries as required
• Maintains strong relationships partner organizations, including CurlBC and Curling Canada, and the City of Victoria
• The General Manager is delegated authority by the Board in alignment with Board Policy and within specified financial limits; all decisions and responsibilities outside of delegated authority must be brought to the Board for approval in advance of action
• The General Manager works within established policies and society bylaws to guide decisions, seeking support and counsel from the Board as required, within boundaries of delegated authority; the General Manager regularly reviews operational policy to ensure its alignment with strategic visioning and best practice
• Leadership and supervision experience
• Superior written communication skills
• Experience or demonstrated aptitude in the areas of promotion, sales, vendor management, customer services, expense management, and service operation
• Proven track record of establishing effective operating procedures and processes, maximizing the use of technology to aid operation and innovation
• Education in management or business administration, or minimum 5 years experience
• Must have a current (within 1 year) criminal record check
• Demonstrated ability to manage budgets and track expenditures to meet financial targets
The following qualifications would be considered an asset:
• Experience managing volunteers
• Experience in a sport club or comparable business or service operation
• Experience working in the not-for-profit sector
• Knowledge of the sport of curling
• Demonstrated success with obtaining grant funding for a variety of program opportunities
• Ability to take initiative, within scope of role & responsibilities, to further the goals of the society
• Ability to liaise with a variety of stakeholders, including local politicians, sponsors, volunteers, and associate organizations (ie. CurlBC and Curling Canada)
• Highly motivated
• Ability to work independently and within a team
• Strong operational communications skills
• Effective time management skills
• Ability to effectively and professionally manage interpersonal conflict
• While responsibilities cover the full year, the seasonal nature of the business of the Club requires the GM to work a flexible and variable schedule over the course of the year, including some evening and weekend work to balance operational needs and member engagement.
• The GM is expected to work on-site at the VCC for an average of 35 hours per week; hours are likely to fluctuate depending on the season, with peak periods between September and April.
For additional information about the VCC, please visit our website to find data from a recent member survey, as well as a copy of current Bylaws and Policies.
Interested applicants should send a PDF cover letter and resume to [email protected] by May 26, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The VCC is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We seek staff who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity, including Indigenous peoples, persons with visible and/or invisible disabilities; persons who identify as women; persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions; and members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin.