In a field that had been somewhat lacking for former Canadian champions, a two-time winner was the 15th and final qualifier on Sunday for the 2017 Scotties Tournament of Hearts.
Rachel Homan’s team from Ottawa — vice-skip Emma Miskew, second Joanne Courtney, lead Lisa Weagle and coach Adam Kingsbury — claimed the Ontario Scotties provincial women’s title at Cobourg, beating Mississauga’s Jacqueline Harrison 7-4 in the championship final.
As a result, Team Homan will be the home-province hopeful as Team Ontario at the 2017 Scotties national championship, Feb. 18-26 at the Meridian Centre in St. Catharines.
Homan, Miskew and Weagle (with former second Alison Kreviazuk) won back-to-back titles at the Scotties in 2013 at Kingston, Ont., and 2014 in Montreal, and join the defending champion Team Canada squad — Calgary’s Chelsea Carey, with vice-skip Amy Nixon, second Jocelyn Peterman, lead Laine Peters, alternate Susan O’Connor and coach Charley Thomas — as the lone former champion teams in the field.
Interestingly, it will be Ontario taking on Team Canada in the round-robin opener for both teams on Feb. 18, at 2:30 p.m. ET.
Two team alternates — Saskatchewan’s Amber Holland and Alberta’s Heather Nedohin — also are former Scotties Canadian champions.
The rest of the field looks like this (skip, vice-skip, second, lead, alternate, coach):
- British Columbia (Golden Ears WC, Maple Ridge) — Marla Mallett, Shannon Aleksic, Brette Richards, Blaine De Jager, Kristen Recksiedler, Gerry Richard.
- Alberta (Okotoks CC) — Shannon Kleibrink, Lisa Eyamie, Sarah Wilkes, Alison Thiessen, Heather Nedohin, Richard Kleibrink.
- Saskatchewan (Moose Jaw Ford CC) — Penny Barker, Deanna Doig, Lorraine Schneider, Danielle Sicinski, Amber Holland, Merv Fonger.
- Manitoba (Granite CC, Winnipeg) — Michelle Englot, Kate Cameron, Leslie Wilson, Raunora Westcott, Krysten Karwacki, Ron Westcott.
- Northern Ontario (Fort William CC, Thunder Bay) — Krista McCarville, Kendra Lilly, Ashley Sippala, Sarah Potts, alternate Oye-Sem Won Briand, Lorraine Lang.
- Quebec (Mount Royal CC, Mont-Royal) — Eve Bélisle, Lauren Mann, Trish Hill, Brittany O’Rourke, Pamela Nugent, Jeff Wilson.
- Nova Scotia (Windsor CC) — Mary Mattatall, Margaret Cutcliffe, Jill Alcoe-Holland, Andrea Saulnier, Julie McEvoy, Bruce Lohnes.
- New Brunswick (Capital WC, Fredericton) — Melissa Adams, Jennifer Armstrong, Cathlia Ward, Katie Forward, Jillian Keough, Mark Ward.
- Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown CC) — Robyn MacPhee, Sarah Fullerton, Meaghan Hughes, Michelle McQuaid, Rebecca Jean MacDonald, Les Rogers.
- Newfoundland/Labrador (St. John’s CC/ReMax Centre) — Stacie Curtis, Erin Porter, Julie Devereaux, Erica Trickett, Shelley Hardy, Eugene Trickett.
- Northwest Territories (Yellowknife CC) — Kerry Galusha, Meagan Koehler, Danielle Derry, Sharon Cormier, Shona Barbour, John Epping.
- Yukon (Whitehorse CC) — Sarah Koltun, Chelsea Duncan, Patty Wallingham, Jenna Duncan, Helen Strong, Bill Tschirhart.
- Nunavut (Iqaluit CC) — Geneva Chislett, Denise Hutchings, Robyn Mackey, Jenine Bodner, Sadie Pinksen, Donalda Mattie.
To purchase tickets for the 2017 Scotties Tournament of Hearts, go to:www.curling.ca/2017scotties/tickets/