The following structure for the training and development of Curling Officials and Curling Umpires to officiate at Curling Canada Member (Provincial / Territorial) Association or Curling Canada National Championships has been established.
Time Clock Operator/Observer Official (previously level 1)
- Complete registration and submit to your Curling Canada Member Association
- Complete the practical requirement of a minimum of six games of officiating experience under the supervision of a Level 3, 4 or 5 Chief Umpire at a Curling Canada Member Association or Curling Canada Canadian championship and receive a positive evaluation. Submit the completed Time Clock Operator/Observer practical form to your Curling Canada Member Association.
Curling Canada Member Association GAME UMPIRE (previously level 2)
- Game Time Clock Operator/Observer Certification
- Attend a Game Umpire Training Course (contact your Member Association for dates and location of upcoming courses)
- Complete and pass the Game Umpire exam (open book); 70% required
- Complete the practical requirement of a minimum of six games total of game umpire experience at two Curling Canada Member Association championships under the supervision of Level 3, 4 or 5 Chief Umpires and receive positive evaluations
LEVEL 3 UMPIRE – Curling Canada Member Association CHIEF UMPIRE
- Game Umpire Certification
- Serve as Deputy Chief Umpire at a minimum of one Curling Canada Member Association Championship
- Serve as Chief Umpire at a minimum of one Curling Canada Member Association Championship
- Receive positive evaluations from the Curling Canada Member Association Championship Committee Chair or Association and a recommendation from a recognized Curling Canada Member Association Chief Umpire
LEVEL 4 UMPIRE – NATIONAL GAME UMPIRE, DEPUTY CHIEF UMPIRE & CHIEF UMPIRE
- Recommended to Curling Canada by a Curling Canada Member Association
- Serve as Game Umpire at minimum of two Curling Canada arena-based championships and receive positive evaluations from the Chief Umpires
LEVEL 5 UMPIRE – NATIONAL CHIEF UMPIRE
- Serve as Chief Umpire at a minimum of two Curling Canada arena-based championships and receive positive evaluations from the Director, Championship Services.