Career Opportunity: General Manager
Soo Curlers Association, Sault ste. Marie, ONtario
The Soo Curlers Association is recruiting a highly motivated individual to the position of General Manager. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager will be accountable for the successful operation of the club, to ensure long term success and sustainability; the successful candidate is an individual who will:
• have effective leadership, management and communication skills, in order to manage the performance of staff, and provide leadership, direction and support to ensure success in meeting member needs
• be a “people-person” with the capacity to relate to people at all levels and in a variety of
• be familiar with working with and facilitating cooperation across a volunteer driven organization; provide guidance and support to the Board of Directors
• be active in the club and community, interacting with members and community stakeholders as a positive role model for the club
• be highly motivated and a self-starter
• have an entrepreneurial mindset and awareness of changes and new opportunities in the curling business
• have knowledge about the sport of curling, and demonstrate a commitment to building community and regional partnerships
The Soo Curlers Association, a not for-profit corporation, has operated a curling facility in Sault Ste. Marie for the enjoyment of community and regional stakeholders since 1944. In partnership with organizations such as Curling Canada, the Northern Ontario Curling Association, community partners and members, the mission of the club has been to develop, promote, and grow the sport of curling in our community, by providing quality and enjoyable experiences for people of all ages and skill levels.
The Soo Curler’s Association operates out of the Community First Curling Center, and is home to Team Jacobs, Olympic gold medal winners. The club is an 8 sheet arena, with over 500 active members. The club offers league play to a variety of age groups, individual and group learn to curl instruction, and has hosted premier curling and other special events. The facility is open to the public and provides hospitality services with bar, restaurant, banquet facilities and ice rentals.
Specifically, the General Manager will be responsible to:
• Recruit, train and supervise a high functioning team of employees to carry out the operating directives and strategic plan of the club.
• Establish job descriptions, standards on operational excellence for employees and ensure consistent job performance reviews occur
• Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to: develop a realistic operating plan for the club, provide monthly reports outlining ongoing activities, assist with development of policies and practices of the Board and ensure communication of all relevant operational, financial and risk issues in a timely manner
• Assist with strategic planning for the club
• Develop policies and operating procedures to support operations (administration, facility and member relations) and ensure compliance in order to reduce risk, loss or injury
• Provide financial management oversight: develop an operating budget, monitor success against it, and report outcomes, ensure accurate accounting practices, monitor financials including long term capital planning and debt management, and manage membership fees / revenue and expenses to achieve financial targets
• Promote the club to the membership and general public; monitor club activities and develop new participant incentives
• Develop new sources of revenue, including attracting sponsorships
• Develop member satisfaction monitoring processes, and ensure issues are addressed promptly
• Develop partnerships with curling organizations to attract curling events to the club facilities; ensure the club is properly represented
• Ensure club facilities, equipment, grounds and assets are maintained and protected.
• Post-secondary education; university or college degree in business, sports management or equivalent is an asset
• Well-developed business management and leadership experience in a customer or member focused organization
• Experience with recruitment and management of employees, in accordance with relevant employment legislation and human resources best practices
• Previous responsibility or appreciation for marketing communications, public relations and fundraising strategies
• Experience with establishing effective operating procedures and processes
• Experience working with volunteer associations
• General knowledge of ice prep and maintenance skills
• Experience creating, management and monitoring of an operational budget
• Resourceful and independent, but able to work effectively within a team-oriented environment
• Demonstrated leadership and team building skills, including the ability to motivate individuals
• Effective time management, organizational, and planning skills
• Excellent written, verbal, communication and presentation skills
• Proficient use of computer technology, including but not limited to experience with online resources, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software, and database applications; will be required to learn and use club specific applications
• Valid driver’s license and access to vehicle to travel.
• Able to work on weekends and evenings as required.
Posting Closing Date: March 19, 2021
Please email resume / cover letter outlining qualifications and experience to: Tom McLean, Chair, Board of Directors, at [email protected] by the closing date. No phone calls please.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.