Career Opportunity: Head Ice Technician
City View Curling Club, Ottawa, Ontario
The City View Curling Club (CVCC) is searching for a person to take on the contract position of Head Ice Technician beginning on May 1, 2022. The Head Ice Technician must be committed to always providing CVCC members with consistent and world-class playing conditions.
CVCC was established in 1957, and is in Ottawa’s west end. In 2016, the members opened a new, accessible, purpose-built four-sheet curling facility to replace the original three-sheet building. This new facility includes a Cimco EcoChill 6000E Ice Plant System running a 100HP compressor, a commercial desiccant dehumidifier and complete water treatment system on the ice side. CVCC members are justifiably proud of their new club facility and wish to have the best curling ice possible to complement their investment.
CVCC has over 500 active members, at least 34 draws and over 900 curlers in traffic during a typical week which includes providing ice for member leagues, Special Olympics, Blind Curlers, Learn-To-Curl, Little Rocks, U18, bonspiels and rental activities. A normal curling season typically runs for 25 to 27 weeks starting from late September or early October until late April.
The Head Ice Technician will report to and take direction from the Ice Chair, will maintain a positive working relationship with the Board of Directors, and will always provide friendly customer service to members and guests.
Responsibilities of the Head Ice Technician
● Adhering to all CVCC policies and procedures, as well as any federal, provincial, and municipal legislation and regulations relating to the healthy and safe operation of a curling club.
● Conducting annual start-up activities including but not limited to servicing the refrigeration plant, installing the ice surface, and setting in-ice advertisements and logos.
● Engaging, managing, training and evaluating any assistant ice technicians needed to ensure complete coverage of all draws.
● Maintaining the ice surface to the highest possible standards for league play, bonspiels, rentals and competitions by scraping, mopping, pebbling and nipping the ice surface according to a schedule developed with the Ice and Draw Chairs.
● Cleaning and maintaining the curling rocks.
● Cleaning and vacuuming the areas surrounding the ice surface.
● Planning and implementing an ice maintenance program to ensure that CVCC’s high
standards are maintained, with the ability to adjust as necessary.
● Maintaining, or overseeing the maintenance of all ice-making equipment including, but not limited to, the ice plant, heaters and dehumidifiers, mops, brooms, pebblers, scrapers and nippers.
● Maintaining complete equipment and maintenance records including a daily logbook.
● Responding to emergency alarms at any time of day or night.
● Maintaining a clean ice plant area and technician’s spaces.
● Initiating and completing ice plant shutdown activities at the end of the curling season, including the final cleaning of the ice pad.
● Ice Technician Certification Level 3, or an equivalent amount of experience as an ice technician, preferably in the role of a head ice technician.
● WHMIS certification.
● Experience in equipment inventory tracking and scheduled maintenance.
● Experience in maintaining and repairing ice-making and maintaining equipment, such as scrapers and nippers.
● Ability to meet deadlines, adapt to changing priorities, and troubleshoot equipment issues and ice conditions.
● Good planning and organizational skills.
● Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
● Ability to implement the ice maintenance program with minimal direction.
It is the intention of CVCC to establish a long-term relationship with a Head Ice Technician. However, this contract is for one year, with the option of an additional two years following a positive performance review at the end of the first year.
How to Apply
Applications for this position must be received by January 31, 2022. All responses will be held in the strictest confidence. Interviews will occur in February, 2022.
Applications or questions about the position may be sent via email to [email protected]. They may also be mailed to:
City View Curling Club
50 Capilano Drive, Ottawa, ON K2E 6G4
Attn: Ice Chair