Career Opportunity: Head Ice Technician
Elmira and District Curling Club, Ontario
The Elmira and District Curling Club (EDCC) is searching for a person to take on the contract
position of Head Ice Technician. The Head Ice Technician must be committed to always
providing EDCC members with consistent and quality playing conditions.
EDCC was established in 1956 in the town of Elmira, ON. We are just 15 minutes north of
Waterloo. EDCC has 4 sheets of ice, with over 250 active members across approximately 18
draws. Our typical week includes providing ice for member leagues, Learn-To-Curl, Little Rocks,
U18, bonspiels and rental activities. Our normal curling season typically runs for 25 to 27 weeks
starting from early October until early April.
The Head Ice Technician will report to, and take direction from, the Board of Directors and will
always provide friendly customer service to members and guests.
Responsibilities of the Head Ice Technician
● Adhering to all EDCC policies and procedures, as well as any federal, provincial, and municipal
legislation and regulations relating to the healthy and safe operation of a curling club and its
● Conducting annual start-up activities including, but not limited to, servicing the refrigeration
plant, installing the ice surface, and setting in-ice advertisements and logos.
● Engaging, managing, training and evaluating any assistant ice technicians needed to ensure
complete coverage of all draws.
● Maintaining the ice surface to the highest possible standards for league play, bonspiels,
rentals and competitions by scraping, mopping, pebbling and nipping the ice surface according
to a schedule developed with the club’s Ice Committee.
● Installation, maintenance, and repair of the hacks, including the Junior hack.
● Cleaning and maintaining the club’s curling stones, including Lite rocks.
● Cleaning and vacuuming the areas surrounding the ice surface.
● Planning and implementing an ice maintenance program to ensure that EDCC’s high
standards are maintained, with the ability to adjust as necessary.
● Maintaining, or overseeing the maintenance of all ice-making equipment including, but not
limited to, the ice plant, heaters and dehumidifiers, mops, brooms, pebbling equipment,
scrapers and nippers.
● Maintaining complete equipment and maintenance records including a daily logbook.
● Responding to emergency alarms at any time of day or night.
● Maintaining a clean ice plant area and technician’s spaces.
● Initiating and completing ice plant shutdown activities at the end of the curling season,
including the final cleaning of the ice pad.
● Ice Technician Certification Level 2, or an equivalent amount of experience as an ice
technician, preferably in the role of a head ice technician.
● WHMIS certification.
● Experience in equipment inventory tracking and scheduled maintenance.
● Experience in maintaining and repairing ice-making and maintaining equipment, such as
scrapers and nippers.
● Ability to meet deadlines, adapt to changing priorities, and troubleshoot equipment issues
and ice conditions.
● Good planning and organizational skills.
● Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
● Ability to implement an ice maintenance program with minimal direction.
It is the intention of EDCC to establish a long-term relationship with a Head Ice Technician.
However, this contract is for one year, with the option of an additional two years following a
positive performance review at the end of the first year.
How to Apply
Applications for this position must be received by May 13th, 2022. All responses will be held in
the strictest confidence. Interviews will occur in May 2022.
Applications or questions about the position may be sent via email to