Career Opportunity: Curling Club Manager
Carleton Heights Curling Club, Ottawa, Ontario
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – CURLING CLUB MANAGER
START DATE: SEPTEMBER 2022
CARLETON HEIGHTS CURLING CLUB
1436 Normandy Crescent
Ottawa, ON, K2C 3H4
The Carleton Heights Curling Club (CHCC) is a well-established, non-profit, community-based,
four-sheet curling facility in Ottawa, Ontario, with over 350 members and rental league curlers.
This job is seasonal, being full-time during the curling season, September-April, with part-time
options for the off-season, to be negotiated with selected candidate. Most of the work is
daytime, Monday to Friday. Flexible hours are possible, and some evening/weekend hours are
required, based on scheduled activities/events.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CLUB MANAGER
• Works directly with the CHCC Executive to ensure a smooth and efficiently run curling club.
• Undertakes a range of job duties, including management, administration, operations,
staffing, health & safety.
• Main point of contact for CHCC’s day-to-day operations, and for interactions with CHCC’s
Board of Directors/Executive, designated league coordinators, members, contractors,
suppliers, other curling clubs, the public.
• Liaises/works closely with the Treasurer and CHCC Executive Chairs: Membership, Ice,
Match, House/Property; reports to the President, Vice-President or designate.
• Proactively seeks and pursues opportunities: to attract new curling members; to attract
curling/non-curling events/business to CHCC; to promote the use of the Club’s facilities by
members and the public during the curling season, including the ice, lounge, bar, and
kitchen; to attract revenue-generating uses/rentals of the Club’s facilities during the offseason, including the lounge, bar, and kitchen.
• Trains bar staff/leads hiring process; sets schedules to meet required hours of operation;
ensures bar operates in compliance with all applicable provincial legislation.
• Operates all CHCC facilities in compliance with all applicable federal/provincial
legislation/requirements/protocols, including privacy, workplace and public health and
safety, accessibility, and curling operations (more detail in next section).
• Maintains timely, validated financial and sales records and reports of Club operations.
• Orders, receives, purchases, and maintains bar inventory/products for resale, and inventory
of supplies required for office, lounge, kitchen, bathroom, and cleaning purposes.
• Creates and maintains booking calendars for all uses of curling ice, lounge, bar, and kitchen.
• Oversees event coordination, pricing, set-up, clean-up, and collection of fees.
• Maintains inventory list of all CHCC equipment/supplies and ensures its proper functioning.
• Ensures cleanliness of all Club facilities, both interior and exterior.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS – Proof of the following must be demonstrated in the
candidate’s resumé, cover letter, during an interview, or via reference checks:
✓ Minimum 1 year experience: operating/managing a curling club/bar/recreational
facility/similar business, bartending, hiring staff, handling cash, payroll procedures, and
working with Moneris and POS systems.
✓ Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
✓ Experience working independently, leading a small team, providing advice to management.
✓ Completing daily, weekly, monthly tasks in a timely, efficient manner.
✓ Strong financial skills for daily/weekly/monthly sales/cashflow reports, bank deposits.
✓ Experience determining, maintaining, and tracking bar products and facility supplies,
inventory lists, costs, resale profit margins.
✓ Experience marketing and promoting a small business, including the use and growth of
social media accounts.
✓ Certified in Smart Serve, Standard First Aid, and CPR Level C with AED.
✓ Broad knowledge of all applicable federal/provincial legislation including, but not limited to,
the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, Alcohol and Gaming
Regulation and Public Protection Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workers Safety
and Insurance Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and relevant
guidelines/protocols/policies of Public Health Ontario, Ottawa Public Health, and the
Ontario Curling Association.
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS – Preference may be given to candidates who also demonstrate:
✓ Experience managing catering/food service operations; certified food handler.
✓ Experience curling, or significant experience with, or knowledge of, the sport of curling.
SALARY – From $45,000. Negotiable, commensurate with experience and knowledge. Full curling membership included.
HOW TO APPLY – Submit resumé (two-page maximum) and cover letter (two-page
maximum) to [email protected], by Friday, August 5, 2022, 9:00pm EDT.
Enquiries can be sent to the same email address.
NOTE – Target start date is September 12, 2022. All submissions will be held in the strictest
confidence. We thank all applicants. Only those selected for an interview, to occur in August,
will be contacted and required to submit multiple references and proof of required