Career Opportunity: Club Manager
Parksville Curling Club, British Columbia
The Parksville Curling Club (PCC) is recruiting a highly motivated individual to the position of Club Manager.
The PCC started curling in 2003, is in the City of Parksville, population 14,000, and draws its members from the surrounding Oceanside area, population 50,000. The Parksville Curling Club is the only curling club in the province with dedicated arena ice, has 6 sheets, approximately 400 members, 30 leagues, a member’s lounge and concession. PCC has hosted many local and provincial events and has an extremely active volunteer base.
The PCC Club Manager is the primary interface between the Club and its members, the local community, and the broader Oceanside region. The Club Manager is accountable to the PCC Board of Directors, reports directly to the President and will be accountable for the successful operation of the Club. They will ensure the provision of high quality, consistent, friendly, and timely services to our membership, rental guests, and general inquiries ensuring long term success. This is a part-time, year-round position. The average time commitment is 25 hours per week that may include weekdays, weeknights, and weekends during the September to April curling season. Work hours for the remainder of the year, April to September, are flexible to help offset the demands of the active season. The schedule to be determined in discussions with the Board President.
The selected candidate will:
• Assume responsibility for day-to-day operations of the club including ice rentals, building rentals, pro shop inventory control, condition of the facilities and security of club property.
• Assist board members, league captains, and bonspiel coordinators with staffing, bar, leagues and bonspiels.
• Assist with implementation of the club’s marketing and sales plan to promote membership, sponsorship opportunities and facility utilization.
• Foster and encourage relationships with members, sponsors, community stakeholders, neighbouring curling centers, Curl BC, PCMCA, Regional District of Nanaimo and the City of Parksville.
• Provide support to curling leagues and other events as needed to ensure their success.
• Work closely with the Treasurer to oversee financial operations of the club.
• Monitor trends in the curling industry and identify new growth opportunities for the club.
• Assist with seeking out and applying for all applicable grant funding.
• Ensure compliance with all current British Columbia regulations including, but not limited to, health, gaming, liquor, cannabis, Technical Safety BC and Work Safe BC.
• Attend monthly board of directors’ meetings and provide a written monthly report of club operations.
• Continuously evaluate programs, procedures and club practices and make appropriate recommendations to the Board.
• Perform other assigned duties as determined by the Board of Directors.
• Abide by the club’s policies and procedures.
• Implement and ensure compliance with any Public Health Orders and club COVID protocols.
• Refrigeration Safety Awareness Certificate (or willingness to obtain it at the Club’s cost within first six months of employment).
• Serving It Right Certificate (or willingness to obtain it at the Club’s cost within first six months of employment).
• Have proficient use of computer technology, including word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software; will be required to learn and use club specific applications.
• Entrepreneurial mindset with a willingness to create new opportunities and an ability to challenge tradition in a constructive way.
• Be a natural problem solver – if you do not know how to do something, you know how to identify appropriate resources to find a solution.
• Outgoing personality, strong public relations and client services skills.
• Highly motivated self-starter who is adaptable and comfortable with variable daily, weekly, and monthly work schedules.
• Experience in business management with customer service or member-focused organizations.
• Experience with fiscal responsibilities including budgeting, receivables, payables, and recordkeeping.
• Experience recruiting and coordinating volunteers
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience in curling and the non-profit sector
• Commensurate with experience
Closing date: March 31, 2023
Position to start: As soon as mutually acceptable.
Resumes accepted at [email protected]
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.