Career Opportunity: Head Ice Maker/General Manager
Olds Curling Club, Alberta
The Olds Curling Club (OCC) is seeking a motivated, dynamic individual to serve as Head Ice
Technician and General Manager for our curling facility located in Olds, Alberta.
The OCC has an exemplary reputation and has hosted many local, provincial, and national
events. We are recognized on the international scale for recently hosting the Pinty’s Grand Slam
event in 2022.
The OCC has active evening leagues, bonspiels and special events. The OCC has 6 sheets of
curling ice, over 250+ members, and a members’ lounge, Hack and Hammer. The curling
season runs from early October to the end of March and the facility is available to rent for
special events year-round. We are looking to grow facility usage over the summer season.
The Club’s General Manager and Head Ice Technician reports to the Olds Curling Club Board of
Directors. If you have a passion for curling, ice-making, and a business-driven spirit, with
creative ideas in combination with a passion to work with people, our Club would love to hear
from you. This is a year-round full time position.
The ideal candidate will serve as both the Head Ice Technician and General Manager. We will
consider someone with Head Ice Technician capabilities that does not prefer all of the GM
duties and responsibilities.
Start Date: July 2023
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
Head Ice Technician:
The Ice Technician is responsible for planning and performing all curling ice installation and
maintenance for the curling season and beyond. This includes:
Ice Making, Equipment & Maintenance
● Prepare rink for start-up, i.e., Wash floor, prep wherever needed, paint surfaces where
● Install and prepare ice at the beginning of the season, spring removal of ice at the end of the
season. This includes painting rings and lines, installing hacks, and signage at the start of
season. Storage of rocks and equipment, final clean-up at the end of the season.
● Day to day curling ice maintenance activities for leagues, bonspiels, rentals, ensuring high
quality playing conditions.
● Monitor and regularly inspect the ice equipment to ensure they are in safe and serviceable
condition. Identify issues and report to the Building Committee if expenditures are required.
● Spring removal of ice, rings & signage and storage of rocks and equipment, cleaning and
drying of floor.
● Open and close the curling rink as required for all curling events. (The ice technician is not
required to stay until the last draw time is complete if there is no maintenance required).
Supervise and schedule assistants, if required. Ensure sufficient qualified staffing for
bonspiels, events, ice rentals and leagues.
● Mentor, supervise and evaluate junior ice maker(s).
● Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with members and guests.
● Coordinate with league reps to ensure teams are accounted for and schedules can be
● Assess and perform rock maintenance/rock repair as required. Interface with members and
the board to gather information on ice and rock conditions.
● Ensure timely communication with Board of Directors, league representatives, coaches, and
● Physical requirements: Ability to lift and carry 60 pounds.
Manage day-to-day operations of the facility, including Olds Curling Club Contractors and
general venue/facility operations. This includes:
● Venue, facility Management, Procurement and Tracking: Coordinate and procure
contracts and licenses (e.g., insurance, internet), obtain quotes/upgrades for small projects,
assign/track club keys, access, club laptop and tablets. Maintain membership database and
online registration system.
● Marketing and Promote Curling: Develop and organize a membership initiative to promote
membership, encourage member growth and facility rentals. Organize learn to curl
opportunities throughout the season, make connections with potential new curlers.
● Administration: Update website and social media accounts with current League standings,
draws, member information, upcoming events, learn to curl opportunities, etc.
● Fundraising and Advertising: Discover and maintain sponsorship/advertising and execute
agreements. Use initiative to generate creative fundraising opportunities to increase and
● Financial Oversight: Oversee fiscal management of the Club. Prepare monthly financial and
operational reports for the Board of Directors.
● Scheduling: Support and assist the Board of Directors to plan and facilitate the annual
curling calendar. Create an annual calendar of events for approval by the Board of Directors.
Schedule practice times and accommodate draw changes when required. Facilitate programs
and leagues in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
● Facility: Manage rentals including practice ice, corporate events, private events, etc.
· Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
● Previous experience in curling ice maintenance services and minimum (3) years of
experience in making curling ice. Level 2 Ice Technician certification is an asset.
● Minimum 2 years Management experience required. Experience working with a non-profit
sport organization is an asset.
● Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays per programming needs.
● Computer knowledge is preferred. Ability to manage a website and social media platforms is
a definite asset.
● Ideally a curling “enthusiast” who is familiar with all aspects of the sport.
● Excellent communication abilities to connect with members, business community, curling
● associations, etc.
● Excellent time management skills with ability to perform well under pressure.
● Strong organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills.
● Strong work ethic that values responsibility, accountability, and reliability.
● Experience working with diverse populations.
● Grant writing experience is considered an asset.
Salary range is $50,000-$60,000 plus additional commission opportunities. Salary will
commensurate with education and experience.
Please email resume by May 29, 2023 to [email protected]. We thank all applicants
for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.